Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Insidious Psoriasis

Posted by pedro 
Insidious Psoriasis
April 16, 2017 10:56AM
Being a doctor, of course, and being quite a vocal advocate about this illness, people who ask about my condition get a lot of information from me -- whether they really want it or not.

I practice naturopathic primary care medicine, and I love treating everyone in the family. But I do have a special little sweet spot for autoimmune disorders. Personally, for my own condition -- with both psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis -- I have a multi-pronged approach. I start with my diet - autoimmune paleo. I have different things that I do for stress management. I get acupuncture and massage regularly. I take some specifically chosen and well researched nutritional supplements. I use hydrotherapy. And I do use biologic medication, so I see a rheumatologist, as well as my naturopathic doctor. I'm trying to use the best of all worlds, so that I can minimize the amount of medication I am putting in my body. I want to not only reduce the side effects of medications, but also maximize how long they will work.

That's an aspect of medication that is often lost on people. When you get into some of the stronger medications, your body gradually adjusts and you kind of graduate out of that medication, and then there's nowhere else to go. So a balanced approach, with a variety of treatments, really is the best way forward for most people.

Anyone with a chronic condition, and especially chronic pain, is going to feel overwhelmed at some point, and quite frequently, when trying to deal with it. If someone is feeling like they might be headed toward depression, it's critical to get mental health support as well as physical support. You cannot treat only the physical symptoms and ignore the very real, very important mind-body connection.

I would also urge people who really like alternative medicine and who feel conventional medicine is the enemy to rethink their stance. You can't be so afraid of medication that you don't give yourself the care that you need. Sometimes we really need a band-aid. So go ahead. Get that pharmaceutical band-aid, stop the process, and then go see a natural health practitioner. Preferably a licensed naturopathic doctor, because we're trained physicians who understand medications, nutrition, supplements, and herbs and their interactions with each other.

Get your healthcare team on board and work on healing whatever that band-aid has covered up. Don't be so afraid of the band-aid that you end up doing more damage to yourself in the long run.

For my part, I would not wish this condition on my worst enemy. But it is a part of my life and I have to deal with it. And honestly, I believe it has made me a better, more empathetic doctor.

Be just. Leave a mark. Set not only an example, be a standard-bearer.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.